If you are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, resident in the UK by 31 December 2020, you and your family members need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK beyond 30th June 2021.


For more information and to apply, visit gov.uk/eusettlementscheme


If you are not sure how to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme or need assistance you can use GARAS, which is a free service in Gloucestershire to guide you through the process.


To get in touch with GARAS, email Jennie Watts on admin@garas.org.uk, phone 01452 550528 to make an appointment, or come to the Centre (The Trust Centre, Falkner St, Gloucester, GL1 4SQ) on Monday/Wednesday/Friday 10am-4pm.



The EU Settlement Scheme allows you and your family members to get the immigration status you need to continue to live, work and study in the UK beyond 30 June 2021. This status means you can continue to be eligible for:

  • public services, such as healthcare and schools
  • public funds and pensions
  • British citizenship, if you meet the requirements and want to apply


Except in a few cases, EU, EEA and Swiss citizens resident in the UK by 31 December 2020, and their non-EU family members, need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme.

EEA countries and Switzerland:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland.

Even if you have lived in the UK for many years, or you have a UK permanent residence document, you still need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme. You do not need to apply if you have indefinite leave to remain or enter, but you can if you want to.


Family members of EU citizens

Non-EU family members living in the UK by 31 December 2020 also need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme. Close family members who are not living in the UK by 31 December 2020 will be able to join their EU family member in the UK at any point in the future, as long as:

  • the relationship still exists; and
  • their EU family member was resident in the UK by 31 December 2020 and usually has successfully applied to the scheme by 30 June 2021

Close family members are: spouses, civil partners, unmarried partners and dependent children, grandchildren, parents and grandparents. Family members do not need to be from the EU, they can come from anywhere in the world.

Children need to secure an immigration status as well as adults. For information about applying on behalf of children, visit gov.uk/apply-settled-status-for-child


How to apply

You need to complete a short 3-step online application form using a computer, tablet or mobile phone. Your application saves automatically, so you can start the application and complete it at a different time if you want to. Once you have made an application for yourself, this can be linked to your family member’s application, using your unique applicant number.

It is free to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme.

Application guidance can be found on GOV.UK. Once you have read the guidance, start your application at gov.uk/eusettlementscheme



Proof of identity

Step 1 of your application: verify your identity and nationality using your passport, national identity card, or biometric residence card (if you are a non-EEA citizen).

You can either:

– scan your biometric identity document using the EU Exit: ID Document Check app on compatible iPhone and Android phones

– send in your identity document by post visit a location providing access to the ID document scanning service.

You will also have to upload a digital photo of yourself.


Proof of residence

Step 2 of your application: prove your residence in the UK by providing your National Insurance number, if you have one. In some cases, you may need to upload additional documents to your application, for example if you do not have a National Insurance number.


Criminality check

Step 3 of your application: complete the criminality check by declaring any criminal convictions. Only serious or persistent criminality will affect your application.

Successful applicants will get digital proof of their status through an online service: gov.uk/view-prove-immigration status.

You will not get a physical document unless you are from outside the EEA and do not already have a biometric residence card. You can track the progress of your application online.


Pre-settled status

If you receive pre-settled status, also known as limited leave to remain or enter, this means you can stay in the UK for a period of 5 years. This will allow you to remain in the UK until you are eligible for settled status, generally once you have lived continuously in the UK for 5 years. Then you can apply for settled status.


Settled status

If you receive settled status, also known as indefinite leave to remain or enter, this means there is no time limit on how long you can stay in the UK. You can apply for British citizenship if you meet the requirements and want to apply.

Both pre-settled status and settled status allow you to continue to live, work and study in the UK beyond 30 June 2021.

You can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme now and the deadline is 30 June 2021. Your rights will remain unchanged until then, provided that you were resident in the UK by 31 December 2020.

Apply now: gov.uk/eusettlementscheme